Metrological Certificate for Russia (Pattern Approval Certificate)
The metrological certificate mainly concerns the measuring characteristics of instruments.
It is a document confirming that a measuring instrument meets the metrological and technical requirements set out in the legal acts of the Russian Federation.
The Uniformity of measurements in Russia is regulated by the Federal Law No. 102-FZ “On Ensuring Uniformity of Measurements”.
Basis of the approval are successful tests and registration in the state register (www.fundmetrology.ru). The metrological certificate is issued by the Federal Agency for Technical Regulation and Metrology (Rostekhregulierovanie).
Without tests, no approval is granted. The certification / registration may refer to a specific device or device type.
- In the case of one-time certification, the Metrological Certificate covers the tested device. The serial number of the tested device is listed in the certificate, which extends exclusively to this device.
- In the case of serial certification, a device type is registered and not a serial number. The validity is 5 years. Within this period any number of devices can be shipped.
The registration includes the entry of the device serial number or device type in the database of the regulatory authority. This offers the advantage that once a device has been registered it does not have to be registered repeatedly if the re-submission of documents takes place no later than 40 days before the expiration date of the current Metrological Certificate.
The mandatory metrological certificate is required for measuring instruments (pressure gauges, temperature sensors, speedometers, water meters, etc.) that are used in state monitoring and control, such as:
- carrying out activities in the field of medicine, veterinary medicine;
- carrying out activities in the field of environmental protection;
- carrying out activities to ensure safety in emergency situations;
- ensuring safe working conditions;
- implementation of control over compliance with health and safety requirements;
- conducting trade and commodity exchange operations, carrying out goods packaging operations;
- implementation of the accounting of the state;
- implementation of defense and national security activities;
- carrying out geodetic and cartographic activities;
- carrying out activities in the field of hydrometeorology;
- execution of banking, tax and customs transactions;
- carrying out work to assess the conformity of industrial products and other products with the mandatory requirements of the legislation of the Russian Federation;
- conducting official sports competitions, training top athletes;
- execution of court orders, law enforcement agencies, state executive bodies;
- implementation of state control (supervisory) measures;
- carrying out activities related to the use of atomic energy
The metrological certification uses the following evaluation methods:
- Determination of metrological and technical characteristics of measuring instruments, including accuracy parameters specified in units approved in the Russian Federation.
- Identification of software and evaluation of its effects on metrological characteristics of the measuring instruments (if software is available)
- Developing of a new or using of an existing test methodology
- Specification of the calibration intervals of the meter
- Analyzing of the design of the measuring instrument for the presence of restrictions on access to certain parts of the equipment (including software) that prevent unauthorized manipulation that could lead to a falsification of the measurement results
- Verification of compliance with the requirements of measuring instruments, including their components, software and operating conditions.
After the successful tests and after the issuing of a type description and a calibration methodology, all documents and applications are submitted to the supervisor authority. If the application file is fully accepted, registration of the measuring instrument and issuance of the Metrological Certificate will take approximately 40 working days (according to the Ministry of Industry and Trade’s Decree No 970 of 25.06.2013).
Key figures of metrological certification:
- The Metrological Certificate (Pattern Approval Certificate) will only be issued after the instrument / instrument type has been entered in the State Instrument Register (www.fundmetrology.ru).
- The Metrological Certificate is valid for 5 years.
- The Metrological Certificate is issued by the Federal Agency for Technical Regulation and Metrology.
- The Metrological Certificate can be issued for a single device or for a type of instruments.
- Instruments used in state monitoring and control must be calibrated before commissioning and after repairs.
- Approved (registered) measuring instruments and their technical documentation (operating instructions, equipment passport, etc.) must be marked with a type approval mark (form and dimensions as specified in Annex № 4 to Decree No 1081 of 30 November 2009 of the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Russian Federation (www.fundmetrology.ru/depository/01_npa/pm1081_30112009.pdf)
The single requirements are complicated and not direct for the laymen to understand. We are happy to provide you with our expert knowledge. Please contact us!